If you’re new to Site Setup Kit, and you need some help getting clear on basic website concepts, never fear! We’ve collected all the resources from our popular e-course Setting up your website the easy and smart way right here for your reading pleasure.
1. Purchase a Domain Name
- Site Setup Kit Tip #1: Your domain name = your brand
- Site Setup Kit Tip #2: How to register your domain name
- Site Setup Kit Tip #3: How to keep domain names people-friendly
Our PDF report, 10 Tips for Choosing and Using Your Domain Name, contains all the information in these three Site Setup Kit tips, plus four more tips for mastering your domain. Download the domain report here.
2. Get Web Hosting
- Site Setup Kit Tip #4: How to choose the best online home for your business
- Site Setup Kit Tip #5: How to avoid the biggest hosting mistake
- Site Setup Kit Tip #6: The definitive WordPress web hosting checklist
Our PDF report, Choosing a Web Host for Your WordPress Site, contains all the information in these three Site Setup Kit tips in one handy document. Download the hosting report here.
If you’re a visual learner, and you didn’t see our Love Your Website webinar before you purchased Site Setup Kit, you may want to watch it now. The webinar provides an overview of the first six Site Setup Kit tips (and you can feel free to stop watching when we start talking about purchasing Site Setup Kit, because you’re already here!):
- Site Setup Kit #7: Learn to Love Your Website with our no-cost class
3. Point your domain to your web hosting account
If you’ve registered your domain name and signed up for a hosting account with two different companies, you’ll need to get those two services communicating with each other before you install WordPress:
- Site Setup Kit Tip #8: How to point your domain name to your web host
4. Install WordPress
The WordPress software is free and fairly easy to install if you are using a host with a one-click install feature. We’ve written two tutorials for our two recommended web hosts:
- Site Setup Kit Tip #9: How to install WordPress on your DreamHost account or How to install WordPress using cPanel and Fantastico (the one-click software used by HostGator and many other web hosts).
5. Design a beautiful, unique WordPress site
Once you have the tech pieces in place, you’re ready to follow the steps in our bonus report, Designing your website yourself: Six tips to make you look like a pro. Download the design report here, then visit the Site Setup Kit Dynamik Style Warehouse to see our array of styles for the Dynamik theme.
Now you’re ready to go through the Site Setup Kit modules in earnest, and learn how to use the power of WordPress plus the flexibility of the Dynamik theme to put together your site. Use our handy getting-started checklist or read the lessons in any order you want.
Just think: You could be the next Site Setup Kit owner on our Site Setup Kit Wall of Fame!